A friend of mine just retired from the place I used to work. She started 35 years ago (the year after me) and I’ve known her and worked with her since then. Her celebration inspired me to create a Surprise Scrapbook project for future retirees, promotions out of the department, or other happy leaving situations. I did not have enough time to get together with the party organizers to gather photos to create one for her. Instead, I used the box to give her something that was one of our best memories together.
The Surprise Scrapbook consists of a decorated box filled with mini-album pages. The box I used is the retired Extra-Large Gift Box from Stampin’ Up!®, but any 6″ x 6″ x 4-3/8″ box will work. (I keep hoping this box will show up in the upcoming 2014-2015 Annual Catalog, but we’ll see!) You can also use other sizes of box, just change the measurements.
Supplies Used for Photo Example:
- I love this set, but it really needs a beer mug to complete it, don’t you think?
Card Stock & Paper: Tangerine Tango 8-1/2″ x 11″ Card Stock (#111349), 5-3/4″ x 5-5/8″ & 5-3/4″ x 4-1/8″ (4); Watercolor Wonder Designer Series Paper (#132994), 2″ x 12″, 5-1/2″ x 5-3/8″ & 5-1/2″ x 3-7/8″ (4); Gumball Green 8-1/2″ x 11″ Card Stock (#126840), 5-3/4″ x 5-5/8″ & Whisper White 8-1/2″ x 11″ Card Stock (#100730), 5-1/2″ x 5-3/8″ (times however many pages needed for both colors)
Accessories & Tools: 3/4″ Circle Punch (#119873); Candy Dots Brad Bases (#132293); Rhinestone Basic Jewels (#119246); Paper-Piercing Tool (#126189); Stampin’ Pierce Mat (#126199); Smoky Slate 3/4″ Chevron Ribbon (#131152); SNAIL Adhesive (#104332)
- Pierce the centers of all the flowers after they’ve been punched out.
- Arrange the 3 largest in the center of the top layer and pierce holes through all layers before you attach it to the box lid.
- Stack a small flower on top of a large flower, insert the brad, then attach to the top layer. Repeat for the other two, then adhere Rhinestones in the centers of the brads. You can substitute coordinating Candy Dots (Brights #130931; Neutrals #130934; Regals #130932; Subtles #130933) or Pearl Basic Jewels (#119247) for the Rhinestones.
- Adhere the ribbon around the box with SNAIL, using small sections at a time. Leave the front of the box (with the notch) adhesive-free and tie the ribbon in a knot.
- Line up the bottom layer of the front box panel and mark the notch on the back. Punch out with circle punch, then adhere the DSP layer and punch it. The punches won’t go through two layers at one time.
The individual pages are very simple (just a piece of Whisper White Card Stock layered on a piece of Gumball Green Card Stock and stamped) and allow for a photo with a message or caption underneath. Colleagues and well-wishers can also write a message on the back of the page.
If you want to make a real mini Surprise Scrapbook, use the Decorative Window Gift Box (#132146). Your cover page can show through the window and you’ll need fewer 3-3/4″ x 3-3/4″ pages. Or you can make a miniature version of the Surprise Scrapbook shown with the Kraft Gift Box (#124106) and 3-1/4″ x 3-1/4″ pages.
To order what you need to have make your own Surprise Scrapbooks, just click on the Order Online Button in the right sidebar or on any of the product links in this article. You’ll receive 3am Stamping Rewards for every $30 purchased. You can also qualify for Stampin’ Rewards from Stampin’ Up!® if your order exceeds $150.Read More